Sunday 18 July 2010

Day 164: Padron Peppers


I like food that has a certain theatre to it. One of my favourite things to cook when people come for dinner is a crab claw and sweetcorn gumbo, the main reason being that I love a good dinner party where everyone has to attack their food with a hammer. There's something very satisfying and a little bit amusing about it.

So this is why I also like Padron peppers for dinner. One in every thirty 'has a kick' so it says on the packet, so when you make your way through a large bowl of them you have no idea whether the next one you eat will be the one to blow your head off or not. In reality, I think the kick you get is one given with lovely, fluffy, slippers rather than a steel toe-capped DM but the expectation is part of the fun - like touching an electric fence, is it on or is it off? Mild electrocution or nothing at all?

Or is that just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment