Monday 10 May 2010

Day 113: Tea pouring

Cont'd from last post...
Because from where I was standing there was an awful lot of chatting going on. Oh, and drinking of tea.
Mint tea, "Moroccan whisky", was served with great flourish, usually from quite a height. The pouring of tea was very much the domain of the head of the household but also something of a competitive sport. Who could pour the highest and cleanest - there was quite a skill to it.
So moving on from topsy turvy labour divisions, the mint tea was always lovely, always refreshing but I didn't quite appreciate how much sugar was in it until I saw the equivalent of two sugar bowls going into the pot! So lovely tea or teeth - you decide.
Berber coffee was also interesting as it was served with thyme. I really wasn't sure about the idea of it at first but I actually really enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely shot, I really like the depth of field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar tea/sugar revelation in Mauritania. Mauritanian tea isn't as refined as Moroccan, but just as much ritual surrounds it. And just as much sugar goes into it. Abdu, who drove us around the desert for the best part of 3 weeks, insisted he was addicted to it and got headaches if he didn't get through about a kilo every 3 days! And i got into serious trouble for making tea one time without any sugar at all...

    ReplyDelete