Monday 23 August 2010

Day 200: Moomins

It must be something to do with the Festival being on but I've been having some very interesting dreams these last few days.
Dream No. 1: I went to see Grid Iron's Decky Does a Bronco, which is being performed in an Edinburgh park, the set being a large swing frame anchored to the grass. The characters climb all over this frame throughout the play. I then had a dream that half way through the show, the main actor had to leave very suddenly and I had to fill in for him. So I was climbing up to the top of the swing frame, looking down at the audience thinking 'I've got absolutely no idea what my next line is'.
I then sat at the top of the frame, trying to surreptitiously flick through a copy of the script desperately trying to identify where we actually were in the play hoping the audience wouldn't notice the main actor had gone... even though a woman had replaced him.
I love dream logic!
Dream No. 2: A S Byatt and Margaret Drabble (who I'm pretty sure I'd be unable to pick out from a line up) walked into the pub where a friend of mine was playing a set. There was a ripple of hushed whispers as they came in, as people recognised them. I went up to A S Byatt (Margaret Drabble was away getting the drinks in) and asked her if I could take her photo (whilst wishing I'd actually finished reading Possession all those years ago). She was very nice but in the end told me that I couldn't take her picture because her publisher owned the copyright to her image.
Tove Jansson, apart from writing the fabulous Moomin books also wrote this beautiful, gently funny book called The Summer Book about the tender relationship between a grandmother and grandchild sharing a tiny island off the coast of Finland one summer. I'm a big fan. And this year is the 65th anniversary of the Moomins, so I went slightly crazy in this design shop and my niece is now getting all things Moomin for her birthday (as am I... hee hee).




1 comment:

  1. Glad to see I'm not the only one with weird dreams! Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete