Sunday 12 September 2010

Day 215: Nasi goreng with lime and sugar-coated chicken

I love cooking with ingredients I've never used before and today it was Shrimp paste. Once you get over the honking aroma it's pretty marvelous. The chicken was marinaded overnight in lime, garlic, palm sugar and fish sauce. I've never made nasi goreng before and although it was a bit of a faff to prepare - crisping the shallots, frying and rolling the omlettes, cooking the rice and leaving to go cold, making up the nasi goreng spice mix - it's quite a good one to serve for guests because the final cooking is about 6 minutes (including cooking the chicken).
And it was totally delicious. Think I could live on this every day. If I could employ a cook to all the prep.
Whilst buying the shrimp paste I also bought an ingredient I'd never even heard of before - 'togarashi seasoning' (a mix of chilli, orange peel, black and white sesame seeds, szechuan pepper, ginger and seaweed). Can't wait to use this, but have no idea how. All suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment